AGRICULTURE SECTOR MODENIZATION PROJECT (ASMP)
The Agriculture Modernization Project (ASMP) is implemented with the objectives of increasing agriculture productivity, improving market access, and enhancing value addition of smallholder farmers and agribusinesses in the project areas. The Ministry of Agriculture Project management unit will work with five provinces; namely, Northern Province, Eastern Province, Central Province, North – Central Province, and Uva Province in seven districts Jaffna, Mullaitivu, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, Batticaloa, Matale, and Monaragala.
Who would be benefit from the project?
14,000 farm households will directly benefit from the project’s agriculture technology demonstrations through improved production capacity, improved input supply and management, better and more efficient technology, improved market linkages, as well as opportunities for high value addition. 20,000 farm households would benefit from the project support to establish professional farmer organizations and capacity building through farmer business and marketing training activities.The project ATDPs and complementary production infrastructure investments are intended to cover 12 priority districts of Jaffna, Mullaitivu, Vavuniya, Kilinochchi, Kandy, Ampara, Badulla, Anuradhapura, Batticaloa, Moneragala, Matale, and Polonnaruwa.
“A vibrant, dynamic, and productive agriculture sector through modernization for food security and national prosperity”
“To achieve globally competitive production, processing and marketing enterprises through socially acceptable, innovative, market oriented and state of the art agriculture, through sustainable management of natural resources in the project areas”
High Level Objectives:
- Improving agricultural productivity and competitiveness to strengthen the links between rural and urban areas and facilitate Sri Lanka’s structural changes,
- Providing and strengthening rural livelihood sources, employment opportunities in agriculture and along value chains and market access for the poor,
- Contributing to improve flood and drought management through project’s linkages to water & irrigation sectors and a climate-smart agriculture approach,
- Promoting diversification and value addition and increased competitiveness in the agriculture sector
Project Development Objectives:
- Increasing agriculture productivity,
- Improving market access and
- Enhancing value addition of small holder farmers and agribusinesses in the project areas